SHOREWOOD, WISCONSIN – We are in an era in which airlines have the technological freedom and the willingness to dismiss tradition and seek seemingly limitless revenue opportunities. The most retail-savvy are in continuous pursuit of what works and discarding what no longer sells. Adding to this vortex, and to the blurring of traditional methods, is the expansion of mobile technology, metasearch sites, direct connect, and enhanced GDS capabilities. The world of commerce rewards retailers who adjust the mix of product, pricing, and promotion to stimulate consumers to spend more.
The latest report from IdeaWorksCompany provides a wide variety of examples – covering traditional airlines, low cost carriers, and suppliers from all over the world – to demonstrate unique methods that generate more revenue from the sale of tickets and ancillary revenue activities:
- Asia’s Value Alliance and technology partner Air Black Box have created an online booking platform allowing individual airlines to choose how to interline with other members of the alliance.
- Jazeera boosts customer loyalty and generates ancillary revenue at its new exclusive 500 car Park & Fly facility at Kuwait Airport.
- AnadoluJet generated 100,000 new passenger trips from a campaign that provided $5 (TRL 14.90) airport transfers at its Istanbul and Ankara airport hubs.
- Virgin Atlantic increased online sales by 5% through a service making it easy for consumers to resume their booking days after visiting the site.
- American and its AAdvantage program are expected to pick up an additional $1.6 billion over three years through new credit card deals offered by two banks instead of one.
- Eurowings encouraged 45% of its consumers to upgrade to a higher fare and more frills by offering branded fares.